Think Green Campaign
Our Think Green Campaign focuses on four key areas:
- Energy Conservation
- Waste reduction & recycling
- Interior Environment (acquisition/disposal policies)
- Staff/Client Awareness
- In 2019, TCU Place diverted more
than 30,630 kgs of recycled material
from the landfill – 1/3 of which was
organic waste since transitioning from
partial to full organics recycling in
- In October 2008 TCU Place hosted the Canadian Green Building Council Conference. We actively participated in a delegate audit, measuring recyclable food, paper, glass, etc. All cleaning products used in the building are green.
Green Stem Program
TCU Place is part of Tourism Saskatoon’s Green Stem Program.
- Installed Power Factor Correction devices to moderate electrical demand.
- Installed occupancy sensors in washrooms and storage rooms. Office equipment is programmed in sleep mode when not in use.
- Installing variable frequency drives in the replacement of air handling units.
- Implementing our “Lights Out” campaign. Cleaning our building during off hours using reduced lighting.
- Integrating natural daylight to the greatest degree possible in our convention space.
- Changing cooking practices (cook with lids on pots, turn off ovens when not in use, etc).
- Continue to plan further energy saving priorities partnering with an Energy Performance Contractor.
Waste Reduction & Recycling
- 90% of our washrooms have been fitted with water saving fixtures.
- Single-stream recycling bin for all paper, plastics, glass, and cans. Collection of organic waste for composting.
- Creating mass recycling stations for tradeshows and large scale events for collecting cardboard, pallet wrap, paper and other recyclable materials. Hosting “Zero Waste” events to reduce the impact in landfills.
- Using china, glassware and stainless flatware is our standard practice. Using linens to dress our tables.
- Providing juice, water and coffee condiments in bulk containers. Avoiding pre-filling water glasses.
- Recycling our kitchen cooking oil. Using “green” cleaning products.
- Emailing documents and referring clients to our website resources. Printing & copying 2-sided documents.
- Wireless internet is provided to encourage laptop use.
Interior Environment (acquisition/disposal policies)
- We purchase competitively priced recycled paper products and support FSC approved suppliers.
- Food and beverages are sourced locally as much as possible. Chefs have created menus to maximize the use of seasonal & organic produce where available.
- Serving “Fair Trade” coffee & tea.
- TCU Place partners with local agencies donating leftover food to charity and encourages clients to do the same.
- Batteries, light bulbs, outdated electronics and paints are recycled at approved locations.
- Our centralized location in the heart of downtown Saskatoon provides easy access by mass transit, or bicycle.
- Developing partnerships with environmental organizations and working to improve our practices on a daily basis. Member of “Green Stem” – powered by Tourism Saskatoon.