About TCU Place
Located in beautiful downtown Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, TCU Place is considered one of the best conference facilities in Western Canada. With over 104,000 square feet of convention space, this facility is one of the most versatile properties in Saskatoon. The Convention Centre houses 21 different rooms with unlimited configurations and, in addition, houses the Sid Buckwold Theatre – a 2,000 soft seat theatre that has hosted international and national performers, speakers and theatrical productions. The theatre is well known for its superior acoustics and expansive stage area. TCU Place is in the process of expanding its presence in downtown Saskatoon, participating in the creation of an entertainment district that may include a new arena, public plaza and BRT. The Board is advocating for the construction of a new convention centre as part of the entertainment district, as well as significant upgrades to the existing facilities.
Due to an upcoming retirement, TCU Place is in search of a Chief Operating Officer (COO), to take over from the interim COO. The incoming COO will build upon the solid foundation as a leading event facility in the prairie region. Reporting to the CEO with a dotted line to the Board of Directors, the COO will provide critical leadership and direction to the organization, and where required, act as the CEO and spokesperson. The COO is responsible for ensuring that TCU Place fulfills its mandate as a key contributor to the enhancement of the downtown Saskatoon community while also striving for maximum revenue generation. Special Notice: The current CEO’s contract will expire in 2025 – the incoming COO is sought for succession planning purposes and is expected to be a candidate for the CEO vacancy in 2025.
Key Responsibilities Include
- Report to and collaborate with the CEO and Board to develop strategic planning and policy recommendations, annual/long-range strategic operating/capital planning, and provide monthly financial operating reports.
- Identify, plan and execute the development of additional sources of revenue.
- Develop and sustain the organizational structure of the Centre and provide strategic leadership to all management personnel for the administration and operations of the Centre.
- Ensure rules of engagement for senior management, and collaborate with them to ensure the effective selection, development, leadership and assignment of staff members.
- Cultivate and maintain awareness of and insights into the social, political, economic, technological and government environments in which the Corporation operates.
- Proactively effect change and encourage innovation and creativity throughout the Centre.
- Build and foster effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders in a complex multi-stakeholder environment, while acting as a key spokesperson for the organization.
- Senior Management and Leadership experience with increasingly senior responsibilities;
- Destination marketing, hospitality, major events and/or food and beverage industry experience preferred;
- Post-Secondary Degree in Business, Hospitality Management, or related discipline preferred;
- Experience and knowledge working with, on and/or reporting to a board;
- Proven experience working with change management in a leadership capacity;
- Experience working in a unionized work environment;
- Ability to think strategically in a complex, evolving environment and marketplace;
- Experience overseeing or managing facility construction, expansion or major renovation projects is an asset;
- Strong mastery of key business functions, including operations, marketing, business development, human resources, and financial administration;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, influence and decision-making abilities; and
- Ability to influence and market to government, business/industry, stakeholders and the public the importance of the Centre as a key partner in the economic and social vibrancy of the province.
For more information or to apply, contact Morgan Sinclair
quoting project # 20141